Sunday 24 July 2016

Death

My mother in law passed away last week at the age of 92. Although she had been suffering from ill health for the past 10 years, it is still difficult to accept the fact that she is no longer with us. From a statistical standpoint, the average life expectancy for a female is about 83 years old, or 5 years more than a male.  She definitely exceeded that milestone.

The year 2016 has been somewhat memorable in the sense that I have probably attended more funerals in the past six months than I had in the past ten years. Human beings are mortal.  It is a reminder to us to cherish what we have around us.

When we plan for our retirement, it is important to not only think about dollars and cents, but the quality of life that we want to experience. Health should be first and foremost. I read an article on retirement by a prominent actuary in Toronto and the thing that struck me the most was the concept of disability free retirement life and on average, one can expect to live about ten years or so in good health assuming one retires at 65. Then, your health can expect to go downhill from there,  I totally agree and have begun to embark on a healthy lifestyle by watching what I eat and exercise regularly.



No comments:

Post a Comment